Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sushi!!!



So this evening began as many evenings after work do. A hungry stomach + Vegweb.com= delicious dinner ideas! As a lover of sushi, I decided to make California rolls-homemade! Something I have never learned before but definitely a welcome skill to save on those expensive sushi restaurants!
As many food endeavors begin in Sacramento, I headed to the beloved Sac Co-Op. Upon entering the co-op, drooling over sushi became drooling over cute indy employees. After making a few more rounds roaming around the eye candy, I snapped myself back into sushi mode before I could be labeled a 'suspicious' character. Yea, excuse me cute indy boys, Im trying to get this whole shopping thing done, so if you could just remove yourself from my eye site that would help a whole bunch!
Attractive employees aside, I grabbed myself a bag of sushi rice(yes its specific), cucumber, carrot and avocado. I was worried that the co-op wouldnt have nori sheets or the wooden mat. Shazaaamm!!! the co-op exceeded my expectations and sold nori sheets WITH the wooden mat....genious!!!!!!!
I headed home happy and excited knowing that soon delicious homemade sushi will soon be hittin the ol' taste buds. To my dismay- after arriving home and reading the rice bag, I found out that the rice must be soaked for 30 mins. crackers. By now the time was nearing 9:30pm- dangerously close to that strange time of night when compulsive snacking becomes unbearable. So I knew that healthy things would have to happen soon! I promptly rinsed the rice and soaked it. Immediately after soaking I started boiling the rice and water, once reaching boiling, lowered and simmering for 20 mins. Then let stand for 10 min, sprinkled some rice vinegar and sugar, mixed and shoved it into the freezer to become manageable for sushi making.
While waiting for the rice to cool I julienned the cucumber, carrot and chopped avocado. I placed the nori sheet on the wooden mat and read the directions for rolling sushi. After the rice was cool I took a handful and spread it all over the nori, leaving a gap at the far end. I place some cucumber, carrot and avocado in the middle, took one end of the nori, wrapped it over the filling and tucked it under. I pressed down to seal it and rolled it up all the way to the end. Victory!!! First Roll complete!!!
I sliced it up and it looked as pretty as Matsuri sushi. YAY! It tasted delicous! The nori provided that subtle 'fishy' taste, the rice was seasoned perfectly and the crunchy and creamy filling was addicting! I made two rolls, one to eat and one to save for lunch--and finished before that scary time at night :-)
Making sushi was super fun and easier than you think! I am definitely so glad I learned how, now I can have delicious sushi without spending an arm and leg!







No comments:

Post a Comment